On Sunday, November 5, 2017, I will be running with the Pat Tillman Foundation in the New York City Marathon. In this Peak Performance Report, I wanted to share with you 26.2 thoughts as I prepare for the 26.2 mile race, thoughts that I think will help you to win your race… the race to be your best.
1. Be better today than you were yesterday, and be better tomorrow than you were today.
2. Attack each day with the 3F’s: (1) Focus on the moment, (2) Fight for something bigger than yourself, and (3) Finish empty each day – give it all you have.
3. Constantly ask yourself throughout your day “What’s Important Now?” – that’s the only way that you can WIN.
4. WI.N. the Moment… Moments lead to → Hours → Days → Weeks → Months → Seasons/Semesters/Quarters → Years → Careers → Life. If you want to have a great life, simply focus on doing what needs to be done to focus on WIN the Moment. IF YOU WANT A FREE BRACELET that says WIN THE MOMENT and DOMINATE THE DAY, send an e-mail with your address to [email protected] and he will mail the first 100 replies a free bracelet.
5. Attack today with an energy unknown to mankind.
6. Your fulfillment in life will be in direct proportion to the life you helped to fulfill in others.
7. Do something daily that you don’t like to do so that you can develop your self-discipline. For me that is making my bed and running. I don’t like either of them all that much… I just do them because I know they are good for me.
8. Pressure is a privilege. When you feel pressure, it means you are about to do something important. It means you are in the right place.
9. STOP comparing yourself to others and start comparing yourself to HOW GOOD YOU CAN BE!
10. Separation is in preparation. You can do anything if you prepare the right way for as long as it takes… How long will it take? As long as it takes.
11. If you are going to watch TV, the World Series, college or NFL football… replace your couch with a treadmill or a stationary bike. Not all of the time… actually… ALMOST all of the time.
12. If you go into a day wondering what you will eat or walk to the fridge asking yourself what you will eat, you are going to lose in the long run. Have a nutritional plan… make the investment… you eat every day and you can’t out-train bad nutrition.
13. Sleep is the missing link in performance. Get 9+ hours a night and watch how much better you perform in all areas.
14. You can make excuses or you can make it happen. That’s a FACT, JACK! Eliminate the shallow and non-essential in your life and lock down on whatever it takes (Sleep + Nutrition) to be at your best so you can give your best to others.
15. You are never going to please everyone. Stop trying. Set your personal and organizational Mission, Vision and Principles (“MVP Process”) and then get to work.
16. Never underestimate the power of a day… and never go into a day without a plan for how you will attack that day’s 24 hours. If your plan says “VACATION – NO PLAN – INVEST INTO FAMILY,” that’s a great plan.
17. There is never a good time to make a major life change… there is only time. Start now because it’s the start that stops most people and the only way to finish is to start… so START ALREADY!
18. Be like Sisyphus and make your mission to push the rock to push the rock to the top of the mountain… just keep pushing the rock and get into the day-to-day activity that it takes to become a better version of you.
19. The best team never wins. It’s always the team who plays the best.
20. There are a lot of factors that will determine the outcome of your life and NOT ONE OF THEM is as important of a factor as YOU ARE.
21. As a leader, when you lack clarity and lack organization, there is a domino effect of negativity that affects those whom you lead. Get ORGANIZED and get CLEAR as a leader or get someone who can do that for you… otherwise you will get ousted because you won’t get results.
22. E+R=O. Events + Response = Outcome. Always choose your response to the events that happen in life because all you can control is the response, never the event and never the outcome.
23. Choose a Player over Starter mentality. If you are an athlete and your goal is to be a starter, shift that goal into becoming a better player because that is what you can control.
24. Your goal must be in your control. If you focus on being a starter, you don’t control that. You only control becoming a better player, and the way to influence becoming a starter is to be the best player you can be.
25. Bring the JUICE – Jacked-Up Insane Contagious Energy… Why? Because people will feed off your energy more than your words. If you are not PUMPED and PASSIONATE BEYOND BELIEF – aka JUICED about your message or your method – why on earth would anyone else be?
26. Start building the 3C’s of peak performance: Clarity (know what you want and what you need to do to get there), Confidence (carry yourself with big body language, focus in the moment and have positive and aggressive self-talk), and Competitiveness (be relentless and attacking in getting after what you want on a daily basis).
26.1 Most things we label in life as good or bad are actually good and bad. Shift your mindset from good or bad to good and bad.
26.2 Dominate the Day! You have been given a gift… a gift to be able to read this, to see this, to hear your own voice when you speak this… Give your greatest gifts away to others. You can’t truly DOMINATE a Day unless you give of yourself to others and do something that can never be repaid.
26.3 Why 26.3… BECAUSE I HAVE A TENDENCY TO RUN THROUGH THE FINISH AND/OR GET LOST ON A MARATHON COURSE and I wanted to say, I love you. Thanks for being with me and reading this. You are a BIG part of my inspiration.
26.4 PLEASE SHARE which of these 26.2 Thoughts meant the most to you by commenting below.